Request for Proposals
The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) Trust seeks to appoint an Organizational Capacity Development (OCD) consultant firm to build organizational capacity of the 18 SANAC Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations by responding to organizational capacity gaps identified by delivering technical support and mentoring.
BACKGROUND ON SANAC CIVIL SOCIETY FORUM
The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) is a voluntary association of institutions established in January 2002 by the national cabinet of the South African Government to build consensus across government, civil society and all other stakeholders to drive an enhanced country response to the scourges of HIV, TB and STIs. The Council is not a juristic person.
SANAC stakeholders ranges from the 22 government departments, 18 Civil Society Sectors, Private Sector, Developmental Partners (international, regional and national). In its nature SANAC is a national body that is composed of sub-national AIDS Council structures at Provincial, District and Levels with similar arrangements as SANAC.
The Civil Society Forum (CSF) is composed of 18 representatives from CSOs, each having been elected/nominated by a “sector” and each sitting within the SANAC council. A sector is defined as a “group of organisations” that democratically represents specific sections of society that have been identified as necessary to the national HIV response.
The SANAC CSF aims to promote an inclusive, competent and responsive civil society that effectively serves the needs of the people of South African communities, by linking and diversifying civil society actors, expanding the sectors and communities where civil society contributes, improving civil society organisations’ operations, and enhancing connections between civil society organisations with their stakeholders and beneficiaries.
The national structures of the CSF consist of the Co-ordinating Committee, which includes the CSF Chairperson (and Deputy Chairperson of SANAC) as well as the co-chairs of the various multi-sector structures of SANAC; Civil Society Leaders who head each of the 18 sectors; and Provincial CSF Chairpersons. These structures are replicated and synergised at provincial, district and local levels. The figure below shows the sectors represented by the CSF:
The Capacity Assessment of the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations will identify institutional and programmatic capacity building needs in the domains listed below:
- Governance Leaders and Strategy
- Human Resources Management
- Administrative Capacity And Systems
- Financial Accountability
- Communication and Marketing
- Community Linkages and Networking
- Secretariat function & Coordinating
The overall purpose of the consultancy is to build sustainable organizational capacity for the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations by responding to organizational capacity gaps identified by and/or with the Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations, and by delivering a series of tailored training courses and provision of one-on-one technical support.
The specific objectives of the consultancy are:
- Conduct an assessments to provide an overview and analysis of the capacity, strengths and weaknesses across the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations, and to identify the main capacity gaps and demands. The Assessment should in particular, as far as is practical and realistic, identify and analyse the main human and systemic capacity gaps (individual and organisational) and should highlight financial and physical asset deficiencies where necessary. The expected results should be well defined to analyse the dynamics that explain present capacity, identify driving forces for change to ensure effectiveness of future capacity development efforts and provide the building elements for developing a demand-driven capacity building action plans for each of the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations.
- Develop capacity building action plans for the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations. Over the course of 3 months, the OCD consultant firm/experts will provide administrative capacity strengthening services. To guide this work, the OCD consultant firm will develop action plans for the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations which identify the administraive services required. It is expected that the OCD, as practical as possible, will have and provide the associated technical skills required by the services sought in the action plans. Where such skills are non-existent with the OCD partner, they would be expected to source them as part of their delivery of OCD support to the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations
SCOPE OF WORK
The OCD consultant / firm will have to propose a methodology for rolling out the OCD to the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations that is consistent with their capacity, but also ensure that progress is set against a baseline. They will have to review all relevant documentation and meet with SANAC Trust and Civil Society Forum to allow the consultant to refine their proposal.
The OCD consultant firm should propose a capacity assessment framework that should recognize the multiple dimensions of capacity needed for an effective and sustainable organization including leadership, program and financial management and control, financial sustainability etc. The framework should go beyond individual capacity (relevant skills and abilities) to include organizational capacity (governance, structures, processes, systems etc.). The framework should in essence set the benchmarks against which assessments are done and success will be monitored and measured.
The Capacity Assessments should be participatory and consultative and aim to provide a diagnosis of current capacity of the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations and track progress being made from OCD support.
The OCD consultant firm should propose to conduct the capacity assessments using a methodology that will have to be developed in partnership or consultation with SANAC Trust and CSF.
As part of the consultancy the OCD will be expected to deliver the following:
- Project Inception report – detailing the consultant’s overall approach, detailed project conceptual framework with detailed methodology, work plan, budget/financial costs, and internal capacity
- Capacity Assessment Methodology Framework with roll out plan, diagnostic participatory OCD Assessment tools, indicators and benchmarks, and OCD graduation criteria and tools
- A comprehensive consolidated capacity assessment report of the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations with detailed findings and recommendations for each Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisation addressing the issues from the assessment. Where similar assessments have already been conducted by the Secretariat / Hosting organisations, the OCD consultant firm should review the reports and consultatively determine if the same can be used.
- Key Informant interviews with each of the 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations and its Sector Leaders to identify gaps and needs to inform development of the capacity building programme linked to the Capacity Assessment Baseline Report.
- Development of individual 18 Civil Society Sector Secretariat / Hosting organisations proposed capacity building action plans, including organizational strengthening methods / approaches.
- Facilitate a validation workshop with key stakeholders to review and agree on the final OCD results. The OCD consultant firm will present the capacity needs assessment results. The consultant will also revise and finalise the report and capacity building action plans to incorporate the discussions and the agreements of the workshop.
- Develop, organize and deliver one-on-one on-site / virtual mentoring, to implement the Administrative Strengthening component of each the Sector Secretariat / Hosting Action Plans
- Document success stories on OCD activities achievements.
The Consultant will deliver:
- Inception Report including a work plan, detailed methodology, report format and timeline
- Capacity Assessment Methodology Framework with assessment tools
- Capacity gaps analysis report of the 18 Hosting Sector Secretariat
- Action plan prioritizing capacity areas for development for the of the 18 Hosting Sector Secretariat
- OCD Validation Workshop report
- Success stories on OCD activities achievements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
SANAC Trust intends to contract a consultant with extensive experience that includes:
- Advanced degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Political Science, Governance and Civil Society and/or other related fields would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years’ experience working with civil society organisations and / or on good governance issues. Demonstrated familiarity with the concepts, methods, and tools related to work on civil society and governance.
- At least five (5) years of experience working in organizational development and capacity building for civil society organisations;
- Demonstrated experience conducting civil society organisational assessments, action planning, and subsequent training and technical assistance provision.
- Experience of mentoring or coaching to civil society organisations would be an advantage.
- Strong research capacity including knowledge of research methods, use of statistical software, data gathering and analysis, and report writing.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural context and among different populations including in rural areas.
- Understanding of the HIV, TB and STIs civil society organization situation, challenges and trends prevalent in South Africa
- Knowledge and / or understanding of the SANAC and its stakeholders
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The selection of the best offer will be based on the combined scoring method: (the qualifications and methodology will be weighted 80%, combined with the price offer, which will be weighted 20%).
- Technical proposal demonstrates clear process and methodology for delivering high quality products in line with the ToR (40%).
- Demonstrated track record / knowledge in public health and HIV, TB and STIs response in South Africa (20%)
- Demonstrated track record in infographic design, data visualization and animation for high quality publications (10%)
- Demonstrated experience with conducting organizational capacity assessment and providing capacity development, mentoring and coaching (10%).
- Financial proposal (20%)
The level of effort expected is 120 consultancy days between 03 October 2021 – 28 February 2022.
SUPERVISION AND COORDINATION
The consultant will be supervised by the Stakeholder Management and Campaigns and the NSP Units at SANAC as well as the SANAC Civil Society Forum Coordinating Committee, who will work closely with the consultant to discuss the work and the review progress on the deliverables.
- Applications should be submitted via email to the following address: [email protected]
- Clearly mark application with reference “GLO02REQ02699”. Applications, and all correspondence, should use the same Reference in the email subject line.
- All annexures must be clearly marked, with corresponding annexure number.
- Email proposals, with all supporting documents by due date shown in table below.
- For enquiries, email: [email protected]/[email protected] Subject line must be indicated with “GLO02REQ02699”
Table 4: key dates for the evaluation
|Publication of call||10 September 2021|
|Deadline for submitting applications||21 September 2021, 16h00 (emailed)|
|Evaluation period (indicative). Additional details may be requested.(ie presentation to bidders)||22-24 September 2021|
|Contracting, start-up planning||27-30 September 2021|
|Implementation start||03 October 2021|
|Submit final report||28 February 2022|
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
Table 5: Documents to be submitted with proposal as annexures
|Annex 1||Proof of the Advanced degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Political Science, Governance and Civil Society and/or other related fields would be an added advantage|
|Annex 2||Short CV or bio sketch & highest qualification of core team involved in the evaluation design, data collection, analysis and write-up|
|Annex 3||Technical proposal demonstrates clear process and methodology for delivering high quality products in line with the following:
|Annex 4||1 or 2 samples of outputs, and or reports from previous similar work|
|Annex 5||Financial proposal|