Request for Proposals
Scope of work: Service Provider to provide refresher training on HIV Testing Services (HTS) to AGYW Lay counsellors
AIDS Foundation of South Africa (AFSA) is one of four South African Principal Recipients (PRs) of The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), for the period: 2019-2022. The Global Fund Programme offers a comprehensive package of services that aim to improve her health, psychosocial and socio-economic wellbeing. The programme targets adolescent girls and young women (AGYW), aged 15-24 years, in and out of school, with the aim to effect risk reduction, behaviour change and empowerment. Objectives of the AGYW programme are aligned to She Conquers Campaign and aim to:
- Decrease HIV incidence
- Decrease teenage pregnancy
- Increase retention in school
- Increase economic opportunities
- Reduce gender based violence (GBV)
AFSA appointed community-based organisations as sub-recipients (SRs) to implement this programme and render services, including HTS services, in targeted communities. To ensure that SRs are supported in ensuring that they render quality HTS to their clients and communities, AFSA wishes to contract a qualified and experienced service provider to provide HTS refresher training to AGYW Lay counsellors.
Purpose of this proposal
AFSA is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Service Provider to provide HTS refresher training to previously trained and qualified HTS Lay Counsellors, for quality HTS services.
HTS (counselling and finger-pricking) Refresher training
Provide refresher training for 40 field staff on: HTS (counselling and finger-pricking), linkage to care, disclosure, and quality: IQC. One training session should be conducted at a central location in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
Table 1: Four training venues to be covered
|Training venue||Number of trainees|
|KwaZulu-Natal: Richards Bay or EMpangeni||20|
Scope of work
The training must be focused on improving HTS knowledge and skills in the following learning outcomes:
- HIV knowledge; HIV pre- and post-test counselling; infection control; finger-prick blood collection; disclosure counselling; risk-reduction counselling; quality assurance and control: testing of rapid test kits using known serum (IQC) and also unknown panel testing; storage of rapid test kits as well as waste management.
- Provide and implement ARV treatment plan.
- Management of HIV
- HIV Legal & ethical issues
- Behaviour change counselling
- Supervision & Mentoring
- Gender & HIV /AIDS
- Training must include basic knowledge on: HIV prevention, tuberculosis, STIs, ART, PrEP, PEP and VMMC.
- All training resources and materials must be provided by the trainer
AFSA shall organise and directly cover costs associated with:
- Travel costs and accommodation related to the undertaking of this assignment.
- Venue bookings and refreshments
Training services are required between: December 2019 and February 2020.
- More than 3 years of experience in HTS training,
- Experience in Health Systems Strengthening, capacity building capacity and training for delivery of quality HTS services,
- Experience in working with Community Based Organizations
- Experience in the development of materials and quality improvement tools and protocols for community level organization’s
- Knowledge of case management and linkage to services in the community
- Experience in quality assurance and quality improvement for HTS.
Documents to be submitted
Companies and organisations with necessary experience and qualifications are invited to submit their applications to AFSA for consideration. Applications must include details of how this training will be conducted. Include a short description of previous experience in conducting similar work, with two references. Provide a breakdown of professional fees /cost structure for services to be rendered.
Supporting documents to the attached to this application:
- Annex 1: Proof of legal entity (NPC, Trust, NPO, Close Corporation, Pty (Ltd))
- Annex 2: Profile of the organisation, including history and work experience relevant to this application. Attach two reference letters or provide their contact details
- Annex 3: Valid SARS tax clearance certificate and tax compliance status pin
- Annex 4: VAT Registration document (not mandatory)
- Annex 5: Valid BBBEE certificate or sworn affidavit (for eligible entities)
- Annex 6: CV/s of trainer/s.
- Annex 7: Trainer’s highest academic qualifications and HTS related qualifications /certificates
- Annex 8: Proposed training programme
- Annex 9: Detailed work-plan for the proposed project (–include timelines)
- Annex 10: Detailed proposed budget using the attached quotation template. Prices quoted must exclude VAT.
Applications should be submitted via email to: [email protected]
As the email subject, please use the reference number shown on the advert.
The closing date for submission of applications is 12 November 2019, 13h00.
Email enquiries by latest 8 November 2019. Email subject, use: ‘Reference number shown on the advert – Enquiry’.
Disclaimer: Emails with incorrect subject line may be disqualified. Closing date remains the same regardless of date of responses to enquiries /questions or lack of response. AFSA reserves the right to amend conditions stipulated in this document. Such amendments will be posted on AFSA website before the closing date.